10.22.2013

The Wild Hunt - Tallest Man on Earth


I left my heart to the wild hunt a-comin'
I live until the call
And I plan to be forgotten when I'm gone
Yes I'll be leavin' in the fall...


The delicious smell of Autumn is here, it is as crisp as fresh-picked apples and as cool as a clear-running stream. It is the scent of seasons turning over as people start to burn things in their fireplaces and pack away their sandals. The farmers' markets are bursting at the seams with enormous squash and pumpkins. Soon I'll make butternut apple soup and pumpkin risotto cakes. I'll drink hot chocolate in the mornings instead of tea, and wear BJ's sweaters so I can joyfully gain my "hibernation weight". Back home, the fields will start to turn gold and the horses will kick and buck and run for no apparent reason. They are invigorated, as I am, with this delectable, drinkable air.  


Midwestern Fall is the thing I missed most in California {except for YOU, dear Family Member or Friend reading this...} Yes, October in San Francisco is beautiful in an entirely different Indian Summer sort of way, and eventually the leaves turn yellowish and fall off the trees, but when stepping on them one can't get a proper "crunch". That's a deal-breaker for me. And they often didn't turn until January. It threw off my internal clock in all sorts of ways... This year, Kansas just feels right and my body soul knows I'm home. 

The other night BJ and I built a fire, turned on some music, and relaxed in our backyard. It is the simplest of things that are always the best for me. 



Life just feels richer this time of year, don't you think?

I snapped this in a CVS parking lot the other day. The trees are bursting into glorious flames and beauty is everywhere. If I could choose any month for any thing to happen it would be October. Good things are made better, hell, bad things are made better by the wonder of this season. 

It is fitting that JoAnn Bennett Ida was born on this day. Every year on October 22 I celebrate her life with a few ice-cubes and some cheap Chardonnay. I suppose I should also have a few potato sticks and some mayonnaise, but I like to think Noni is having enough for both of us. 

I found this photo of her in a book. On the back in my grandfather's handwriting is simply written: JoAnn. On her face is simply written: happiness. 

You can download the song here. 

3 comments:

  1. So glad I made myself stop for a moment this morning and read this post. It made me happy. Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Love! I love YOU and can't wait to see you tonight.

      Delete
  2. This just made me a little teary...in a good way.

    ReplyDelete