8.08.2013

Peaches - The Presidents of the United States of America


"I'm movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches 
Movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches.." 



A few years ago my dad planted some peach trees. This year they produced some crazy good fruit. Look how pretty they are!




They're all so juicy and fuzzy, and such a lovely shade of... peach!






Sometimes tiny stealer monkeys gank food from my photoshoots...
and make giant messes...



 


We have so many that I've been desperately trying to come up with ways to use them up before they go bad. Hot weather + yummy peaches + new ice cream maker = duh. 


Helloooo Homemade Peach Ice Cream. Get in my mouth. After I make you. Over the course of three days. 



Day 1: Peach Prep, sugar, and giant monkey mess clean-up.






Day 2: A photo-ruining (but otherwise heavenly) rainy day, 
Mixin' it up and coolin' it off.

(Certain ingredients not pictured. Because they were ugly.)








Day 3: Scoop. Eat. Enjoy.







Recipe

Ingredients:

Ripe Fresh Peaches - 4 cups sliced (peeled if desired)
Raw Sugar -          1/2 cup
Flour -              2 tbsp
Salt -               1 pinch
Eggs -               3 beaten
Whipping Cream -     1 cup
Vanilla -            1 tsp
Whole Milk -         4 & 1/2 cup

Instructions:

Slice peaches, sprinkle sugar sparingly and allow to sit at room temperature for several hours (or overnight) until they are nice and juicy.

Blend or mash (depending on desired consistency), set aside.

Over LOW heat, combine remaining sugar, flour, salt, and eggs. Cook VERY slowly, stirring frequently, until it begins to thicken. 

*Be very careful not to let the eggs scramble! (If they do, do not despair, simply strain through a mesh sieve and discard overcooked bits.)

Transfer to another container and cool to room temperature.

Once cool, add whipping cream and vanilla, whisk to combine.

Stir in milk and peaches.

Refrigerate until thoroughly cooled (several hours or overnight).

Freeze per ice-cream maker's instructions.

Enjoy!


Notes - I am not a big dessert eater, and tend to like mine a little less on the sweet side, so feel free to up the sugar content to satisfy your sweet-tooth. Next time, I'll leave my peaches a little more chunky, or add freshly cut peach pieces to the mixture before it goes in the ice cream maker. I thought that would have added something extra (and used up more peaches!). I was flying by the seat of my pants when I came up with this recipe, so I look forward to any suggestions you may have! 

Download the song here.

No comments:

Post a Comment